Five is one of my favorite numbers, in addition to seven and twelve. So as I was reading James Altucher’s post on the most valuable things one should know, his 5×5 rule stuck. They say that as you read or listen to something what strikes you most is what you most need at the moment. So what is this rule all about:
- You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.
- Your health is the average of the 5 foods you eat the most.
- Your mental state is the average of the 5 things you think about the most.
- Your creativity is the average of the five works of art you spend the most time trying to read or watch or understand.
- Your ability to be loved is the average of the five things you most do that are lovable.
It’s good to ask ourselves everyday what these five things are in our lives. It’s interesting to find out whether these shift over time, whether we want to be surrounded by the same people or whether the same things make our heart sing. My guess is that these change depending on our context and circumstance. But I also think that there will be underlying themes or first principles that will remain steadfast.